1. Their room was on the third floor, its window _______ the sports ground.
A. overlooks B. overlooking C. overlooked D. to overlook
2. For many patients, institutional care is the most _______ and beneficial form of care.
A. pertinent B. appropriate C. acute D. persistent
3. It was so late that it was _______ to try to catch the train.
A. deficient B. helpless C. tardy D. futile
4. In his unhappiness he had come even to question his _______.
A. diversity B. entity C. prosperity D. minority
5. You need to find reliable information to make ______ investment choices.
A. sensitive B. sure C. steady D. sound
6. Some anglerfish have dwarf males, which remain permanently attached to the ______ larger females.
A. much B. many C. a lot of D. a few
7. Most economic data, ______ regarding hiring, is positive.
A. particularly B. specifically C. exclusively D. completely
8. Mr. Zhang gave the textbooks to all the pupils except ______ who had already taken them.
A. the others B. some C. ones D. those
9. About how many elements ______ make up most of the substances we meet in everyday life?
A. it is which B. is it that C. what it is D. it is that
10. The world’s greatest sporting event, the Olympic Game, upholds the amateur ideal that _______ matters is not winning but participating.
A. anything B. it C. what D. everything